Monday, February 18, 2013

Swimming

Life at the crossroads. Here I am, at the ripe old age of 48 with a real conundrum. Do I stay in my safe government job that I have held for the last dozen years even though I often feel bored and unfulfilled? If I stick it out till retirement, I’ll have a nice pension with which I can retire to Colombia and live out my days reading Spanish novels and tending to my garden. The question is, can I actually make it to retirement without going mad? Sitting in front of a computer day after day in the cubicle farm…ahh…the drool reflex is starting already!




Or do I look for a way out of this and into something more interesting to me…something where I use my body as well as my mind. Something that helps people in concrete and demonstrable ways. Maybe aid work? Mission work? There is certainly appeal. But alas, I have no background in these things and only a single mission trip to Guatemala in 2007. Or maybe an inner city mission here in Canada. St John the Compassionate Mission comes to mind…in Toronto. When I have mentioned this desire to friends and family, most think I would be crazy to give up what I have for something completely unknown. A few “get it” but caution that I should have a plan B and even a plan C in case it blows up in my face. What do I think? You really want to know?



Sometimes you just have to close your eyes and jump……

8 comments:

  1. I am all about closing your eyes and jumping. I'm standing on the edge of a cliff myself. about to give up one career but no solid idea about what waits at the bottom.

    good luck friend. my compassion and understanding are with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep you updated. Have you guys made any decisions about relocating? We'll cross paths eventually, I'm sure. Do you have any ideas about a new career? Ok, question period is over for now ;)

      Delete
    2. grimsby ontario is on the list, and that mission thing in toronto is one of the places we've talked about going to church if we relocate there. so we'll see. lethbridge, alberta is on the list, moncton, fredericton, pei. as well as here (chilliwack & abbotsford) march 5 we find out. fingers crossed!!

      new career. no idea. I don't really want to teach anymore. it's not really my passion. I want to finish my french degree, then maybe if I can get into a masters program... maybe. depends on grades I guess. sigh. it's hard to figure out what you want to be when you grow up, eh?

      Delete
  2. btw, love the background photo. I feel like I've lived in the wrong place a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I like it too. It's just one of the stock Blogger background images.

      Delete
  3. Hey, just to say I read this and have been praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Elizabeth! I am praying for you too. We are not alone..God is with us.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! We all need prayer! Yes, God is with us!!!

      Delete